Sunday, October 26, 2008

Home Again and The Week Ahead

Hello all! I'm back, and for those of you who didn't know I was gone, let me fill you in. I went to Winter Park, Colorado, my former home before all this cancer hoopla. I visited some friends, dropped off my bindings to be mounted on my new skis, tried to comfort a buddy going through a rough time, exorcised a ghost (I mean that figuratively), got some free meals, shivered (it's cold there!) and relaxed. I had a really great visit, for the most part, and realized that I have some really great friends. Thank you to everyone for everything! Your support and concern means the world to me.

I got a lot of comments on my last post, probably because it was almost a week ago since I put up a new one. To "Kim," which Kim are you? I'm guessing my cool and lovely boss from the resort, but maybe the cool and lovely woman who cuts my hair? Anyway, thanks for reading and commenting, and also... it's an additional 4 weeks of treatment, making it a total of 12 more weeks of treatment until I'm done. I wish it were 4!

You know what makes me feel really proud right now? I'm an active user on the bulletin board of this website called the Young Survivor Coalition. I've met a lot of really cool young women there, and they all happen to have breast cancer. Anyway, a bunch of them read my blog and like it, and that makes me feel REALLY good! I think it's because the content is nothing new to them, but they still read. Thanks ladies for your support! I remember feeling really isolated because of my age (and attitude) before my friend referred me to YSC.

So here's the schedule for this week, in case you want to think of me and send me extra thoughts and prayers and good vibes. I think I'll be needing them this week...

Monday: Follow up with Dr. M., my onc at 1:00

Tuesday: First FEC infusion of four at 11:00. I'm scared and nervous, but trying not to think about it. If ever you wanted to send me strength and courage, this would be the day!

Wednesday: Get Neulasta shot (it's a shot to make my white blood cells mature faster so my immune system doesn't make me a giant target for infection) and hydration at 2:00. Which would you choose, a shot in your butt or your stomach? Instinct told me butt, but I've heard stomach is better.

So a new round of chemo with new drugs will begin. You know, I don't really know what a "round' or chemo means; is a round one treatment, or is it all the treatments with the same drug? Hmmm.

Let's hope I whoop this one like I whooped Taxol! Maybe I should write Taxol a little break up letter...

Dear Taxol,

I'm done with you; it's over. Finished. I know we spent 12 weeks together; 12 weeks I will never forget. You've helped me in one major way (cancer killin'!), but you've hurt me too. You made me feel bad sometimes and just didn't treat me that well. You aren't very fun and I'll never forgive you for making my hair come out. I hope that when you meet another woman, you will help her the way you've helped me. And that afterwards, she'll dump your ass the same way I did!

I will admit, I've found someone new. His name is FEC. I think he's a stronger guy than you, and I truly believe he'll do an even better job than you. Thanks for all the you've done, but I promise I will never miss you.

Forget you,
Carrie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey carrie

love your blog! It's easy to check up on you and see how you're doing with it. I got my neulasta in the arm, it wasnt that bad. Also wanted to tell you that FEC should be way better for your heart, so try to be happy you shouldnt have to worry about that part later. I had AC and had some worries afterwards, and it was not fun. I hope the FEC treats you well and i will be thinking of you this week!

YSC girl, Melinda413

terri said...

Neulasta can go in your arm.

Not sure why they wouldn't offer it to you that way. I had it..and trust me, it worked just fine through my arm.

Ask if they'll do it that way.

chartier/roberts said...

Love the break up letter!!!!

Anonymous said...

2 things:
1) If I were having a shot and had to choose between the stomach and the butt I would go for the stomach because sitting could become an issue if the injection site is painful. I know you are past this, but thought I would offer that advice.
2) The breakup letter was great! I am glad to hear that Taxol helped you and that you are done.