Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Chemo Ocho

One more day, beating cancer, it's Chemo Ocho! That's a rip-off of an RCPM "Turbo Ocho" song!

I had all these things that I wanted to say today, but I'm really having "chemo brain." Can't focus or remember for the life of me! Hmmmm!

Hopefully tomorrow I'll remember and be able to use my brain...

I've walked over 2 miles a day, every day, for well over a week! And it's making me feel good-- errrr... better!

Anyway, some things I can say about today:
  • I forgot to put on my lidocaine number cream on my port site this morning. Oops! I'm acting like a newbie instead of someone who has had 7 previous infusions. It hurt a little, but not badly.
  • My granulocytes (infection-fighting white blood cells) went down this week. :( They were at a whopping 2.9 last week, and they're at 2.1 this week. But that's still good!
  • I asked my nurse a million questions this time. She's so nice-- a real angel! Anyway, tonight I will be taking 6 pills. UGH. One blood thinner, two sleeping pills, two antibiotics for all these bumps that appeared on my face, back and neck, and a Vitamin E for my stupid hot flashes. Good thing I have a big Nalgene (which I just knocked over... darn! Water everywhere!). I hope I don't drink too much and sleep too hard with my Ambien that I pee in my bed!!!! TMI?
  • I wanted to sign up for a free exercise class at a gym here that offers a special cancer-folk workout class with a trainer, but they're worried about my port. So apparently avoid strength training but go for cardio. Hmph.
  • I have two sores in my mouth that won't go away, so now I have instructions on what to do. I'm going to start with baking soda/salt mouthwash, and if that doesn't work, switch to Biotene, some sort of enzymatic mouthwash. And if that doesn't work, I have a prescription for another mouthwash with some number in it. And I bought special toothpaste, which is miracle stuff according to Big Brother.

I talked to another patient today. I usually don't do that much. I usually just show up, sit down, chemo-fy, and check out. But I think she likes to talk to me... I have no idea why, maybe she's just chatty. Anyway, she's in a really shit situation as far as cancer goes. I hope things look up for her. I have a feeling I'm going to meet a lot of people in scary situations. Please, let's all pray that this is a one shot deal for me, that we knock this out of the park and IT NEVER COMES BACK!

I think metastatic cancer is the scariest thing in the world to me right now. Actually, I think it will always be the scariest thing in the world to me.

No comments: