Saturday, August 2, 2008

Feeling "Normal," Even If I'm Not

Today was a good day because I was able to do two things that I hadn't been able to do. I washed my hair with both hands, which I couldn't do before because my arm was so sore from my port placement surgery. I also was able to put my hair back in a ponytail all by myself! That saves Sooz from having to do it for me. I'm pleased with my progress.

I met my parents and brother for breakfast and ran into some random acquaintances. I did something with my arms that made my port surgery grossness very noticeable, which was sorta awkward because these people hardly know me and don't know about the whole cancer thing. My left arm looks like this:



I sorta slipped it in that the wounds were from a port placement to get chemo because I have cancer. I don't think they really heard or understood, which is probably for the best.

I worked on moving more stuff into my room and getting settle for this long haul. Wahoo.

Later in the evening, Sooz and I went over to David and Cristi's house for a BBQ. We won at TriBond, which is to be expected (ha) and had a very nice dinner. The hosts gave me the gift of Netflix, which should be really nice in the coming months of fatigue from treatment. What a thoughtful and useful gift! Thanks to them!

I had a good day today because I felt normal. You know, that's the strange thing about this whole disease-- I feel fine most of the time, but I know I'm not fine. I have a serious illness, but life is pretty much the same, minus the daily office visits, the increase in needle sticks, and the two tumors hanging out in my right breast. With cancer, you have to feel icky to get better, which is a really strange concept to me. You have to get sick to get unsick.

Still wondering what will happen with insurance and chemo. I just want to get this all over with and in the past... 20 weeks of chemo treatment is 5 months; I just need to find another way of thinking about that because 5 months is a long freakin' time...

1 comment:

the blond asian said...

think of it this way... 5 months of chemo...vs not living at all.

I know it's not the nicest thing to think about, but that is what it all boils down to.

you will do great. When I have the $ I'm going to come to CO and see you!!!
ang