Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Breast MRI, An Appointment Cancelled

Today I had my first MRI. It was sorta a special one, I think (I obviously don't have anything to compare it to) because I was on my chest with my head facing down. When I got there, I had to change into comfy scrubs. Then a nurse put an IV into my arm, which wasn't fun, but whatever, it wasn't that bad. The IV was to put in some sort of contrast to make my images come out more clearly and easier to read.

Then I was led to the MRI room, and a technician explained what was going to happen. She got me all situated, which involved putting my boobs into two holes, propping up my head, and putting cushions under my arms and legs. I couldn't breathe to deeply, cough, sneeze, itch, wipe my nose, or move in general because it would blur the images. She told me could hear me if I needed anything, and that she'd communicate with me to tell me how long each one would be, etc.

She slid me in, which was fun, and we got started. In the MRI tube, you hear a bunch of weird noises that sound like really boring electronic music. They give you earphones because it's pretty loud, but you can still hear it. I hate to holding still when someone tells me to because it just makes me want to move. I can hold still in general, but it's hard to do when someone says I have to! I had to do one twice because I moved. The whole process took maybe a half hour, and then I got to get the damn IV out of my arm. I hate the way it feels to have a tube in my vein.

And that was it!

I decided to cancel my Friday appointment with Dr. C., the third opinion surgeon. For one, Dr. G. seemed very confident that Dr. C. would agree with Dr. D., and for two, I just wanted to talk to my oncologist before hearing any more opinions. I can't take any more opinions before I talk to her tomorrow. I can't wait!

No comments: