Monday, July 21, 2008

The Second Surgical Opinion

I went back to WP for the weekend to work. I was still thinking about the information Dr. D. had given me to digest. There just had to be another opinion, right? This couldn't be the end-all decision for my future, could it?

My parents and my brother had both heard really good things about a surgeon in Denver, Dr. S. She was the surgeon my mom's gynecologist went to when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I called to get an appointment, but the nice guy on the phone said I couldn't be seen until August 12, and that seemed way too long away to both of us. I was really disappointed.

But I wasn't giving up! I called back later to give the guy my phone number in case of ANY cancellations. He took it down, but then I also asked if I could leave a message on the doctor's voicemail, as many of the doctor's I'd been working with were astonished by my young age and tried their hardest to get me in. Hey, it was worth a shot! He said OK and I left a message. In case that wasn't going to work, though, I called another general surgeon in Fort Collins whom someone recommended. I got an appointment with for Friday morning.

Later in the day, I got a call from Dr. S.'s medical assistant. It just so happened that Dr. S. had a cancellation for the very next day, and could I take the appointment? YES! Finally some luck had come my way!

As far as the rest of my week looks, I have an appointment with the plastic surgeon Wednesday, a breast MRI on Thursday, an appointment with another surgeon Friday morning and finally, an appointment with my to-be oncologist, Dr. M. on Friday afternoon. I'm really looking forward to speaking with the oncologist...

No comments: