Thursday, January 15, 2009

I Have a Surgery Date!

Hi everyone, just a quick note to tell you I finally have a surgery date. I will be having a lumpectomy with a sentinal node biopsy, along with the removal of some extra axillary lymph nodes. And all this will take place on Friday, January 23, just one week from tomorrow! Hooray! FINALLY!

Also to note, my surgeon was very please with my chemo response and said we have a "nice, nice, nice shot at cure." So that's good to hear.

I guess radiation will start 2-3 weeks after surgery, and will last about 5 weeks. So in my head, I'm thinking that in 9 weeks, I'll finally be done with treatment!

I think I'm ready for the next stage in my treatment. I'm a little scared about the pain and how it's going to look in the end. But mostly I'm happy to be moving forward.

The part that really sucks though is that she said I should wait at least three weeks to ski. And when I get to skiing, to "take it easy." (What is it with everyone telling me that? The whole point of skiing is to challenge myself, not to take it easy! I love moguls! Who do these people think I am? Ha!) Groomers? I think I'd rather just sit this one out than ski Mary Jane Trail all day. I KNOW I need to take things at the appropriate pace, or else my arm is going to swell due to the lack of lymph nodes. Eventually I can get back on the horse, but for now, I guess I just heal heal heal. I'm a little disappointed because I thought I could go to this big mogul skiing thing at the beginning of February. But I guess not. Oh well.

Anyway, next stop, surgery! Let's hope I recover quickly and without incident!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie! Good luck on your sx and SNB! When I had mine, I felt very cheated because the doc said that I could pee blue, poop blue, or have blue hives. I really, really was hoping to have blue hives (allergic reaction) so that I could say that I really WAS a smurf in disguise. I get the short jokes all the time, so that would have been my proof and payback all at the same time. HA! But, alas,....it didn't happen. Sad, huh? Hoping for an allergic reaction....LOL. Take care, ccc sister!

Jamie

Dirty Soap said...

Good luck Carrie.I DID have blue pee,but that was it.The surgery was very surreal for me.

I wish you an easy surgery and a speedy recovery.

-Aries (on YSC)

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that your chemo worked. You were feeling bad for a good reason. Good luck with your surgery. I am praying that there is a short and painless recovery. What is this about the blue pee thing?

laura said...

hey carrie! thank you for the advice regarding neupogen / neulasta. great blog!

i had radiation five years ago ... i found it not even a quarter as bad as chemo, so i hope that it is smooth sailing with you as well! congrats on being done chemo!

Catherine said...

that's awesome! you can show us your battle scars in Dallas. i'm sure everyone will be showing them off :)

EMSfivethree said...

That's great to hear, Carrie. I hope everything goes well.

And hey, I can't lie, I'm hoping I can catch up to you now that you're out of practice. Nearly killed myself over on Vasquez the other day.

Anonymous said...

Cograts on the Surgery date! Hope the recovery is simple and easy, at least easier than chemo (wouldn't that be nice!)

~Melinda

Dirty Soap said...

Anna-

The blue pee is from the tracer injected into the nodes (so they know which nodes they want to remove).

Hope you didn't mind me butting in to explain that Carrie.